Monday, June 11, 2012

Weight lost. Life gained

Since I was a young man I always loved to workout. I was inspired by guys like Bruce Lee, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone. It was a relentless passion, training and reading, trying to learn how to be more effective in my approach.
All my hard work paid off, I kept myself in fairly good shape. I even worked for a couple gyms as a personal trainer after going to school for my BCRPA (fitness instructor certification). I used my fitness as a competitive edge in ice hockey. I also felt it made me more confident and energetic.
A few years ago we had a child. A wonderful little girl named Scarlett. All my training took a backseat for a few months prior to her birth and a few months after. During that time I got a little out of shape. I was just starting to get back into the swing of training, but I had a major setback. While doing some lifting at work, I injured my lower back. I twisted rapidly while lifting something heavy... Very bad technique. I was very much out of commission for nearly 3 years. Some days it took me 1/2 hour or more just to get out of bed and crawl to my clothing. It was completely life altering.




During this time I really feel like I lost myself. I felt tired all the time. I felt as though my ability to enjoy being at the gym or challenging myself in sport had vanished.
So what changed?
I changed my mind towards my fitness goals. I just wanted to do any kind of exercise I could safely perform. I started walking more at work. Taking stairs all the time. I would do 40 minutes of stair walking at work at a time. I starting training my abs everyday to try to alleviate my back pain. I decided that my back felt worse and wasn't getting better due to my new found gut.
As I slowly started to lose some weight I did feel a little better. This was inspiring to me. The most difficult thing was to juggle work and family needs with what is really somewhat of a selfish endeavor. But the reality hit me, it's not selfish at all. I have a responsibility as a dad and husband to take care of myself. It is no fun for anyone to have me incapable of playing or doing chores... Or even working.
So now we fast forward to 9 months that have elapsed. I have lost 40 lbs of fat. I have gained back 15 lbs of lost muscle. I went from a 36" waist to a 30" waist. I am currently down to a body fat % of about 10. My goal is 6% body fat and about 10lbs of muscle heavier. It is a very close and reachable goal now.




My back is about 70% most of the time. I have had to alter my training... But the important key is that I am training. Being consistent is the greatest requirement to achieve a fitness goal.




I will keep posting results and will post my training plan and diet next. I hope I can encourage and inspire as well as help with knowledge I have acquired.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: